An Empty Coffin
Curious Discovery in Southport Church
Some workmen, in the course of excavation work at the St Cuthbert’s Church, Southport, removed a vault, situated under the old nave.
When the coffin was exposed it crumbled away, and it was soon that a peice of wood, three feet long, formed its only contents.
The inscription on the brass plate picked up from the dust shows the coffin to be that of Rev. Edwin Whixton Yorke, who died on March 23, 1815, after service for one year at the church as a curate.
It is suggested that the body was removed by ‘body snatchers’ or that, as the curate died in a public institution, it was taken for dissection purposes.